Monday, August 29, 2011

Finally- Our First Day of School!

This is my classroom!
 This is my classroom--> It is AMAZING! I worked so hard for my room to look this clean and good! I am so proud of myself and I am so excited for my students to actually get here! On the smartboard I have a balloon pop welcome where the student touch the balloon with their name on it and it pops and says welcome! Yes, I only have 8 students.
This is my desk
This is the SFA area where students learn about reading.


The back wall in my classroom!

The lookin' Good Mirror and library!

Ty at his desk getting ready for the kids!
Ty's classroom


Someone was having a good morning!

More of Ty's classroom

I was creeping on Derek, he was signing as he worked on lesson plans. 


Today was a HUGE success overall for Gambell! I had only one student missing from my class but she is still at camp. (Not exactly sure what you do at camp but I can't wait to hear about it next week!) We only had four missing from the high school and apparently we gained about five new students!

My students are very polite and really excited to be at school. Teaching in Gambell also opens your eyes to a lot of basic needs that are simply not being met. I got to pass out toothbrushes to my students this morning so that they could brush their teeth for the first time since when school got out last spring. I also brushed my teeth with a little boy that said he had never brushed his teeth before. Please if you are reading this allow your child to brush their teeth, then they will really smile for you!! Ty also had a 5th grader that hadn't sleep for days and was hungry. There are so many things that I took for granted growing up that being here puts into perspective.

Anyways, I can not wait until tomorrow!! I love coming to school!!

3 comments:

  1. Shanen and I love the pictures and are so glad you had a great first day of teaching. We love you and can't wait for more updates. Shanen said he wished he had you for a teacher! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Shanen was in my class too!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty & Brittany,
    Congratulations on the trip. What a memorable experience! Great blog. The classrooms are excellent...somehow I don't remember you being that clean and organized out at The Lodge, Ty??? Please send your e-mail address when possible - I have some photos to send. Thanks.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete